Sweeney Todd is Cutting Entertainment

Photo @ Sara Krulwich

 Hard to believe, but up until this afternoon, I'd never seen Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd live. I have seen the film made of the original production with George Hearn and Angela Lansbury, and also the movie with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter.


So I don't have any live experiences to compare with, but I absolutely loved the new revival starring Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford. The direction by Thomas Kail is very traditional and straightforward, does nothing radical, but presents the musical in a rather operatic way. There is a 26-member orchestra that makes Sondheim's magnificent, operetta-inspired score sound amazing. The sets (by Mimi Lien) and costumes (by Emilio Sosa) are somewhat minimalist but evocative of 19th century East End London. 

Photo @ Matthew Murphy and Evan Zimmerman
The whole show was stolen by Annaleigh Ashford's hilarious, cheerfully sociopathic Mrs. Lovett. She obviously drew inspiration from Angela Lansbury's legendary portrayal, but added her own schtick. Ashford plays her as younger, more highly sexed. Whenever she was onstage, laughs were not far behind. She started off "Worst Pies in London" by spitting all over the pies. Maybe it was a bit too broad, but the energy her Mrs. Lovett had was infectious. "A Little Priest" was by far the highlight of the production. Just hysterical and tons of fun. 

Ashford wasn't all laughs and schtick. It was clear that her compassion for Sweeney's wife Lucy in "Poor Thing" was purely surface, and the way she turned on Toby was chilling. I can't wait to go back and see her again.

Josh Groban's voice is really a wonder. It's a dark, large baritone that had no troubles with the music. His voice soared in "The Barber and His Wife" and "Epiphany." I thought his acting was good too -- more of a slow boil to "demon barber" than most portrayals. I have a big quibble: he made no attempt at an accent -- he sounded like the LA-raised guy he is. Another quibble was that he looked a bit too young and (dare I say it?) too middle class for the role. You don't get the sense that this is a guy sent to Australia for years and with a grown daughter. But ... I've heard many recordings of Sweeney Todd and have rarely heard the role sung so well.

Matarazzo and Ashford, photo @ Sara Krulwich
Other than Ashford, my favorite was probably Gaten Matarazzo as Toby. Like Ashford, he was funny. His eagerness to shill the hair growth products and gratefulness at Mrs. Lovett knitting him a muffler were touching. I loved their duet "Not While I'm Around." Also, I appreciated how he and Ashford did attempt some consistency with their Cockney accents.

My other favorite was Nicholas Christopher (Pirelli) as the smarmy shaman who shills hair-growth products for the follically challenged. Again, he brought the energy and personality to every scene he's in. 

Nicholas Christopher, photo @ Murphy and Zimmerman
Jordan Fisher's (Anthony) accent was probably the least consistent -- his accent crossed the Atlantic several times, often in one stretch of dialogue. His voice is also too modern musical theater for a song like "Johanna." I think a more traditional tenor would have sounded better. The understudy (Delany Westfall) went on for Johanna and she was fine.

The evil Judge Turpin is always a meaty role, and Jamie Jackson obviously had fun with it. Ruthie Ann Miles was actually surprisingly subdued as the Beggar Woman. Not the crackling performance I'm used to seeing from her.

Overall, the theater was crowded and the audience was deliriously enthusiastic. It makes a great case for Sweeney as not just a classic of the repertoire, but a work that can continue to grip and enthrall new audiences.

A note: the next time I go I will definitely splurge for front mezzanine or orchestra seats. I was seated in the rear mezzanine and shocked by how awful sightlines are in the rear mezz of the Lunt-Fontanne if you are vertically challenged (as I am). Multiple heads always blocked my view of the stage, and I always had to crane my neck just to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVIDammerung -- The End of the World in Met Streams

Comparing Nutcrackers Across the Pond

The Mechanical Flute